Welcome! This blog documents my experience as a Nancy Germeshausen Klavans Cultural Bridge Fellow with the Liberian Ministry of Gender and Development during my studies at the Harvard Kennedy School.

The views expressed are solely my own and are written to share experiences, introduce issues, and initiate conversation. Thank you for reading!



Wednesday, June 6, 2007

“VIP” Arrival

I arrived safely in Monrovia yesterday in a plane full of Liberian-Americans, many of who were returning to the country for the first time since the war in order to visit family and friends they left behind. Slightly dazed from the two-day trip, the fact that I have arrived in Africa floats around my head but fails to sink in.
Greeted on the runway by a gentlemen holding up my name, I was immediately whisked off to the “VIP” room of the airport. Amongst parliamentarians and legitimate VIPs, I was introduced as a “guest of the president”. It certainly felt as though I had entered someone else's life! I thought that the arrival would make things all the more real, but the elaborate welcome made it feel a little more like a dream. I am here, developing a policy to benefit women and their country. And as trite as it sounds, I can't help but think... dreams do come true.

1 comment:

bathmateus said...

As always an excellent posting.The
way you write is awesome.Thanks. Adding more information will be more useful.

Bathmate